Monday, October 15, 2012

Bouquet Attempt 1

I'm working on learning to paint three main themes: Owls, portraits, and flowers.

The learning curve on all of them is pretty steep, but I'm slowly crawling my way up it.

I ended up destroying this painting. I really liked the image I have above the jump. Unfortunately, I knew it wasn't finished if it had no background. I liked the shape of the bouquet. I learned to put down greens first in former projects and I felt like the greens with red flowers was a success. Darn the background.

But forward I went. And what a disaster. I tried to mimick the background pattern with similarly shaped flowers. I still like the concept but the execution was unsuccessful. Yellows are really tricky for me.

I also like the concept of adding more flowers with colored pencil. But again, good concept, bad execution. Maybe drawn flowers need to be lower in the levels or colored pencil doesn't have a place within the big flowers and should be left to smaller flowers or details.

So in the end, I don't like what I created. But in art you make a lot of bad pieces so that you can learn what it takes to make a better piece. I learned so much on this piece that it was well worth the time and effort.

Onward!

No comments: