Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Does PMC require a special oven?

I am interested in Sherri Haab's Precious Metal Clay DVD but need
to know how it is fired before I buy the DVD. Can I use my regular oven or
does it require special equipment?
-Sandra S.

Sandra,

Precious Metal Clay does require more than a regular oven, but you do have options (even an inexpensive one).

There are several types of metal clay: PMC, PMC+, and PMC3. All three can be kiln fired, but one of the clays, PMC3, can be fired with a butane torch like one used for creme brulee. Sherri demonstrates butane torch firing in her workshop. Just make sure that when you buy your clay, you get PMC3. The other varieties require much higher temperature to burn off the clay binder, and a butane torch just won't work.

You could also consider a small propane firing device like the SpeedFire Cone system, which would allow you to work with PMC+ or PMC3.



2 comments:

Lisa Clarke said...

Another option is a Hot Pot. I was hesitant to experiment with PMC until I found out that for about $40 I could buy a small hot pot device that would fire the clay (and I wouldn't have to worry about fumbling with a torch!) I highly recommend it as a great way to get your feet wet and help you decide if you want to spring for an expensive kiln.

--Lisa Clarke

Kelly said...

This sounds like a great option! Thanks!