Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Etched Glass

We were having trouble coming up with ideas for our running crew (the crew that is with you during the actual performances. They include the people running lights, sound, costumes, and the stage manager.) Someone suggested a shot glass for our stage manager, and I suddenly remembered that people etch glass. It's a terrible idea to try and learn a new skill on a strict time deadline but glass etching is really straight forward. The most important thing is to make sure your stencil is good and securely fastened to the glass surface. I used reusable letters and found that if I allowed them to fully dry between etchings, everything turned out well. I made 8 candle holders for our crew. Glass etching is an excellent idea for gifts that surround a very specific theme like a theater production. There will be more of this in my future.

No comments: