Thursday, April 10, 2008

Does art have to be hard?

I often feel caught between the type of art I feel I should be doing (or think I want to be doing) and the type of art I actually enjoy doing. The latter is present moment:I enjoy doing it in the now. The former is future-oriented: if I work hard enough maybe someday I will be able to use acrylics and draw free hand (for example). I often distinguish between the two also on ease of process. If it's easy (still time consuming but I don't get hung up in technique) then I somehow discredit it because the art I think I should be doing isn't easy for me now..so ergo if the project is easy, it must not be what I think I should be doing.

Does this make sense? To me neither.

1 comment:

andrea said...

Wow, that is beautiful. I love the minimalist colors and the use of the few you have.
And yes, I do understand, but how could I not?