Monday, April 04, 2011

Bunny Paste Cards (Tutorial)

I have a tendency to be inspired by products in a store. When we were filming Sherrill Kahn, she mentioned that product inspires her creativity. It wasn't until that moment that I realized that I am the same way. I walk through a craft store and say Sherrill's fantastic phrase, "What if?" Sound familiar?

But sometimes I look around my studio and am aware of how much stuff I own. Also sound familiar? I bought light molding paste when I was learning the techniques in Ann Baldwin's second DVD, "Text & Texture in Mixed Media Collage," which I love. But then the light molding paste sort of sat until I looked at a stack of Goodwill bound craft supplies. I heard Sherrill's phrase, "What if?" again. This is how Paste Cards were born. They are wonderfully filled with texture and the graphic silhouette that is in so much of my work. The light molding paste is fun to use and the possibilities are limitless. Enjoy!

Ingredients: 
Light Molding Paste • Palette Knife • Basswood Sheet (found in the wood section of craft supplies. I used one 1/18"x4"x24") • Blue Tape (for holding things in place) • Card Stock • Pencil • Scissors



Recipe:
1. Draw a shape onto your card stock. Make sure it fits on your basswood sheet. Cut out the shape to create a stencil.

2. Tape your basswood down to your work surface and then tape your stencil down over it. I do this to reducing the slipping and sliding that can occur with stencils.

3. Take a glob of light molding paste with your palette knife and spread from your stencil down onto the basswood. Move outside in. You want to try and avoid getting molding paste up under your stencil.

4. After you've covered the surface, carefully pull back the stencil. Allow to dry.

5. Write your Easter greetings on a second piece of card stock and then glue it to the opposite side of the basswood. Slip into and envelope and mail! (May need additional postage due to card weight.)

No comments: